Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, April 28, 2006

A New Day, a new vent…

Pin It Now!

Honestly, I not an angry person. I am generally quite a happy person, content with what life has seen fit to offer me. But there are some things that just drive me bonkers… Elevator vs. the Stairs… I work in a building that is a mere three-storeys. There are two elevators, and I’m of the opinion that in a building of this height, the only time you should be taking the elevator is if you can’t take the stairs. I.e., if you’re carrying something, if you have physical difficulty with the stairs, or are otherwise impeded. Healthy people should not need to use an elevator to go one or two floors. It’s just laziness plain and simple. Even better is that my building has a gigantic open spiral staircase in the middle, so it’s not like the stairs are this dangerous place….you can see it from everywhere! (I understand buildings with scary stairwells – much safer to take the elevator).  Second rant… Self-tanner incompetence… I feel so misled. So utterly deceived. In preparation for my Mexican voyage, I have been applying Jergen’s Natural Glow self-tanner for a couple weeks. Due to the pallid nature of my complexion, I purchased the type for fair skin. It’s worked awesome, smells nice, and I was happy with the results. They were, however, a bit subtle. Since I had such fantastic luck with using the Natural Glow, I decided that I would oomph up my colour by putting on a layer of my Neutrogena Build-a-Tan (purchased last year) to speed things up. Umm…oops. I thought I did a perfect job of applying it – even got poor hubs to help out with the back. But I suck. Really suck. Now, I haven’t had the chance to fully examine the extent of the damage committed, but there is a distinct line between tan and NOT at my wrist. The bottle said to wash my hands….so I did. I think it would be best to NOT wash your hands quite so much though…now I have white hands, and dark arms. Also, on my right forearm, there is a weird dark patch, and I have absolutely no clue how it got there. There is a weird splotchiness at my left wrist and I shudder to think about the damage to my torso (I’m at work and can’t really check right now ;) ). So umm…yeah. Just because you’ve had good luck with the super-easy-idiot-proof self-tanners does not mean that you are, in fact, competent enough to apply a real self-tanner. So um….is it bad that I’m just going to apply another layer tonight in hopes of masking the damage? Is this a bad idea? I have a week until Mexico, so it’s enough time to fade out any real damage, but at the same time, I’m hoping to build up a nice, lasting, reasonably even tanned-appearance. Gah. Third Rant…. I was late for work AGAIN this morning thanks to the knobs at OC Transpo. I hate the bus, I truly do. On a culinary note…. Dinner last night was SOOOOOOOOOO tasty. Nothing really gourmet, but total yum nonetheless. I baked up two Ace bakery demi-baguettes (yay Costco), boiled some eggs and cracked open a can of tuna. With the eggs, I mixed fat-free miracle whip, minced celery and shallots. With the tuna, I mixed some extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and some fresh-cracked pepper. On the baguette with the tuna, I put a nice thick layer of spicy Dijon mustard, and some nice juice slices of fresh, red, ripe tomato. Mmmmmmm…..more pepper. With the egg salad, I just had some romaine lettuce. To go with this I made a ‘random fridge vegetable’ soup. It contained the following: 2 T olive oil 1 med. Onion, diced 1 large shallot, diced 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed 4 large parsnips 5 stalks celery 4 cups low-salt chicken broth ½ t anise seeds fresh pepper I carmelized the veggies for about 15 minutes, then added the broth and simmered for half an hour (while I did all the sandwich stuff). Then I pureed it with my handy immersion blender and voila. :) A soup was born. Now, about those dishes.....

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I can totally relate to both parts of your rant. I have been in your building many times and it always puzzles me that people don't take the stairs. Those circular staircases aren't 'that' brutal! And have you ever noticed hot darn slow the elevator is anyways?

I too am a pasty woman. I've been using Natural glow to give my skin a bit of a boost as well (seriously, it's like I have no pigment whatsoever) I have also suffered from what I like to call "tan sweater" I never get my wrists and neck properly. A few weeks ago, I got tired of the bottle and tried a tanning bed. Bad, bad idea!

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I am a former WB, and I enjoy reading your posts. ITA about the stairs.. people are so darn lazy anymore!! I also admire your energy to cook up such elaborate culinary delights!

Anonymous said...

MY Freakin' RANT is people with blogs who do NOT update it.

WHY BOTHER in the first place????????

Ferda said...

my office is on the 5th floor and sometimes I'll take the stairs other times I won't.

I like to think I'm fit. I play sports, work out etc but I'm always huffing and puffing when I get to my floor. Maybe I should take the stairs more often...

Related Posts with Thumbnails