Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, June 11, 2007

shrimpy quickie

Pin It Now!

I love fast food. Not so much the from-a-drive-thru variety, but more the variety where I get home from work, and scurry about the kitchen and dinner is ready pronto.

That kind of fast food.

This isn't to lessen the importance of slow-food, but more to have a real world perception on what a person can and cannot do. Being as we are in the twenty-first century, I not only have a job, but I go to school, and try to maintain at least somewhat of a social life. Most people are like this - most people just don't have the time to devote hours to cooking every day.

The slow food movement is a great idea, and while I do think we should embrace the wonders of creating in the kitchen (hello - I have a FOOD BLOG), at the same time, people are busy. There are a lot of demands on our time, a lot of things going on, and just a general sense of instant gratification....when I get home from work, there's no way I'm waiting 3-4 hours to eat.

So that's where dishes like this come in. It's something that's quick, that makes use of not-too-bad for you processed foods, and that let you get a really tasty meal on the table in a matter of minutes. I didn't start out timing this, but I'd say it took no more than 15 minutes from start to finish.

It's got lots of protein, fibre and all those good things, and even the sodium isn't crazy out of this world. This is definitely becoming a staple in our kitchen. I loved it so much I ate it for brekkie the next morning. Cold (hubs was grossed out). Hubs took it to work today, instead passing me money to buy my lunch. I was actually sitting at work (eating my purchased lunch), when he messaged me to tell me yet again, how awesome this was.

SO....for those of you who don't have three seconds to sit and breathe, put this on your list. You won't regret it and your tummy will thank me.

Or, more accurately, they should thank Cooking Light, July 2005. CL serves up another winner. I just tweaked it a bit. :)


Black Bean, Corn, and Shrimp Salad

1 T chili powder (this is north american chili powder, which is a mixture of cayenne, paprika, cumin, oregano, etc.....not straight chili powder!)
1/2 t garlic salt (um...yeah....did you read my last post? I skipped the salt and used real garlic, 3 cloves of it)
1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined (I had about a pound. It worked out.)
cooking spray
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
3/4 c salsa (I used hot herdez salsa)
1/4 c. chopped fresh coriander
1 can black beans, rinsed, drained

1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Add garlic and shrimp (I used pre-cooked.....another modern convenience).
shrimp - yep, pre-cooked

2. Add cumin and chili powder and toss to coat the shrimp.
cumin and chili powder

3. Add 1 T lime juice. Add corn to pan, sauté 1 minute.
corn!

4. Stir in salsa, coriander and beans. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in the last tablespoon of lime juice.
dinner time

This stuff rocks. And it's good for you. Makes 4 servings, 354 calories, 4.8 grams of fat, 43.3 grams of protein, 34.9 grams of carbs (9.1 g fibre).

So yeah. Make it. Make it now. :)

Thanks for reading!!!!! I have a tasty vegan dish coming up.....hopefully up within the hour.....

1 comment:

chelle said...

this looks awesome. and is so easy i might actually get around to making it! merci!

Related Posts with Thumbnails