Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, November 01, 2007

SHF: November – The Beta Carotene Harvest

Pin It Now!

this pumpkin cheesecake with a pecan gingersnap crust, topped with whipped cream and drizzled with pecan bourbon caramel....oooooooooooooooooooooooh yaaaaaaa Welcome all to definitely not martha, the sarcastic, quip-filled home of Sugar High Friday for November 2007. SHF was created by Jennifer at Domestic Goddess and has been hosted by blogs across the globe...now including me.

Seeing as this month is Thanksgiving for American readers, and generally has me in a harvest-y kinda mood, what with threats of snow, ice and other such chilly menaces….the theme for this month is Beta Carotene Harvest.

This is like the chicken soup of the dessert world – something hearty, something comforting and something that packs a beta carotene punch…i.e., desserts made with typical harvest gourds and roots – pumpkin, squash, sweet potato, etc. (I’m open to other possibilities…but this is the general idea). A few examples:
- pumpkin pie
- carrot cake
- sweet potato torte
- spiced pumpkin strudel

Go nuts! Be creative! Make something totally new. I love weird and different. So show me what you’ve got!

The deadline for submitting to this month’s SHF is MONDAY, 26 November at midnight EST (GMT-5). I will post the round-up on Friday the 30th of November…at some point during the day/evening (he – I’ve got a day job peeps!).

In order to share your submission, I will require the following:
- image (optional) no larger than 100x100 (doesn’t have to be square, but the biggest dimension cannot exceed 100 pixels)
- a link to your entry
- name of your blog (and link to your blog)
- a brief summary of your entry

Please send your entries to me here: definitelynotmartha@hotmail.com with the title SHF November (or something like that, so I don’t think it’s spam!). You can post in comments, but I can’t guarantee I’ll find it….so if you could send me an email, that would kick ass.


If you do not have a blog and wish to participate, please feel free to do so in the comments section.

I look forward to seeing all of your vitamin-packed creations…
PS - the photo was the dessert I made for Canadian thanksgiving (first Monday in October...it gets cold here REALLY fast....read all about it HERE

8 comments:

Evelin said...

What a wonderful idea! This theme will get me participating:)

There's a bunch of carrots down at the basement - I feel blessed right now.

Brilynn said...

Excellent theme, I've already got ideas for this one...

Brittany said...

Um--how early can I post? This is my 2nd SHF and I LOVE this theme! I will be posting something that I have on my dessert menu at work, and I took the photos today. Is sometime this week too early?

Unknown said...

Wonderful theme, in Indian cuisine we regularly use vegetables to make fudge like desserts called Halwa - but I surely want to come up with something interesting for this one - looking forward to this event.

דורית said...

Hi!
Even though we do not celecrate Thanksgiving here (in Israel) abd I have never ever in my whole life baked or cooked anything sweet from pumpkin - I would love to participate and think this is a wonderful challenge! I even have a great piece of fresh pumpkin in my fridge (now I can here it calling me - "make me into something
sweet!)
Thanks for a great challenge

Dorit
www.prettybakinginisrael.blogspot.com

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Just came across your blog. Would live to send in something, though its close to the deadline. Let me see what I can do.

Jelly said...

Hello!
I sent you an e-mail with my entry for "SHF:November - The Beta Carotene Harvest."
Did you receive it?

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas. Love your blog. Look foward to some updates.

Related Posts with Thumbnails