Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

one thing that annoys me...

Pin It Now!

...is a website that pretends that I write for them.

Check this out:
http://www.emaxhealth.com/1/15/26837/pumpkin-swirl-cheesecake-recipe.html


I don't write for them. I've never written for them. I will never write for them. They certainly never contacted me to have permission to post my work, and in fact, even if they had I would have said no.

This is a spammy/full-of-ads website.

And I don't do ads here on my blog (okay, except maybe the one for my own business below, lol). I don't make one teeny little cent off my blog and that's a deliberate decision. The things I want you to buy (like fresh meats, produce, etc.), generally don't have ads and I'm not really interested in promoting whatever brilliance google ads would come up with.

So there's my rant. I tried submitting a comment indicating my objection, but of course it's not been posted. What a bunch of larcenic poops.

Just so there's a culinary tone to the post...thought I would share my list of supposedly gourmet things that I can't STAND:
1) dates. they look like cockroaches and I just can't get past that.
2) blue cheese. the taste is simply foul.
3) goat cheese. it grosses me out. I keep re-trying it and it just doesn't get any better.
4) food that still has a face. I'm not a vegetarian, but I draw the line at food with eyes still attached (full lobster, shrimp with heads, fish with eyeballs....GAH).
5) fish skin. I keep seeing food network hosts waxing poetic about lovely crispy skin and i want to hurl. soooooooo gross.
6) giada de laurentiis...if she does one more episode where she puts two chopped vegetables with citrus zest and calls it salad, i will go insane. Celery and mushrooms are not salad. They are a soup base. Maybe.
7) Poached fruit in syrup. This is such a meh dessert.
8) Runny yolks. I can't order eggs when I'm out of the house because I'm TERRIFIED the yolk won't be cooked hard as a rock. Soft yolks skeeve me.

Kinda grumpy.....

17 comments:

Loie said...

I posted a comment (though it probably won't get put up) to let them know how lame they are. If enough people do that, maybe it will get taken down?

Anonymous said...

This really sucks. I recognized the picture (you took of the pie) as soon as the page loaded up. I think there should be laws against stealing information on the internet. I mean, shouldn't your recipes, your creations and your ideas be considered intellectual property? And they just copied and pasted your entire post!!

Anyway, I think this happens more frequently than we know. I know one food blogger had her photos stolen off of her website and printed in Indian Times newspaper, without any credits to her work! It's extremely unprofessional and unethical on the journalist's part but I'm pretty sure her protest to the newspaper didn't win her case.

Bah!!

Bubblybunny

Marlene said...

I would be FURIOUS!

And I'm with you on the blue cheese. EWWW. Love goat cheese, though. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this happens to a lot of bloggers. I've had my RMT stuff scraped from my website and re-posted a few places, which is annoying. And I'm sure you noticed Susan from Fat Free Vegan stopped posting full entries to her RSS feed to help prevent post stealing.

Also, it's amusing that your cheesecake ended up in the 'Healthy Food Recipes' category. I know cheesecake is tasty and all, but healthy? ;)

Anonymous said...

Mine are capers, horseradish and sushi. I'm originally from Vancouver and I'm supposed to like Sushi, and man have I tried, but it's just a no go.

I consider my self well versed in the kitchen and I like many things (including blue cheese and goat cheese), but everyone has their dislikes right? (And Laura Calder from French Food at Home is unwatchable, Giada I can handle in doeses).

Anonymous said...

Oh Leslie I thought you would have loved goat and blue cheese! Espec since you like the vino...you should try the goats milk feta cheese from PC..it's really good! And not too goat-cheesy tasting.
I agree w Giada as well...annoying!

Glad you're back!
Kim in T.O...

Carly said...

I'd be furious too!

I left a comment, but I doubt they'll post it.

I'm a little surprised that you're not a fan of goat or blue cheeses, but I'm completely with you on the egg yolk issue!

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone.

Could you please contact eMaxhealth at info@emaxhealth.com. Let's sort this out. The story is not stolen. Fair use. Full credit is given. There is no copyright information on your blog. If you don't want other people using your story, put a simple Copyright. Even if you do, it should say ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, because people may think you reserve only some rights. See for example here at the bottom http://distractible.org/.

So please contact eMaxHealth to sort it out. It says Reported by, because you wrote it, so here we go with a sincere desire to give you full credit under Fair Use.

HumanUnit said...

Oh man, have to agree on the blue cheese. I always thought I was a poor foodie for that...I can deal with tiny, tiny amounts in a sauce or something. But watching Martha Stewart spread Stilton on a grape and then EAT IT is still one of the most traumatizing experiences of my life.

And now I'll never be able to eat a dried date without thinking of cockroaches again...

Anonymous said...

The poops! I also left them a nasty message. Ditto on the blue cheese, though I had a Quebec one at the Chateau Laurier that was seriously yummy and very non blue-cheese tasting. But I loooooooooove goat cheese! And I'm also terrified of runny egg yolk. Very scary.

alice said...

I'm with you on everything except the blue cheese ;)

Anonymous said...

I don't agree. You were given full credit. Now, if they stole the recipe and tried to pass it off as their own.... that would be different.

Pea said...

One of my friends found several of his photographs (that he had added to his flickr page) in a published calendar. I know very little about copyright law, but i always assumed that stealing other peoples' work and making money off of it is wrong and illegal. At the very least, it's mean.

Ford Hurley said...

I would suggest adding a rel="nofollow" tag to the link to their page. It will make sure that you don't contribute to their google pagerank.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nofollow

Anonymous said...

People you don't know anything about copyright.

Anonymous said...

I would take it as a compliment. You were given credit as another poster said.

Maria Baker said...

can i just say giada grosses me out because she constantly talks with her mouth full of food. i mean, what the hell? too much to ask that she chew and swallow her food before she tells us how amazing she thinks it is??? geez.

Related Posts with Thumbnails