Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, August 30, 2009

tasty fare for the waning days of summer

Pin It Now!


As promised, this is the most amazing freaking salmon you will ever eat. I was so incredibly impressed with this - it's pretty much better than any salmon I've ever eaten in a snazzy restaurant, and it's such a healthy indulgence too. You can't go wrong with this. Assuming you actually eat salmon.

Grilled Salmon with Tuscan Beans and Heirloom Tomatoes
caveat: I did not, in fact, have heirloom tomatoes...sorry. Actually, I didn't have any tomatoes. My tomatoes, which I had been saving all week for this recipe, were rotten. I used green pepper and feta instead. Probably...okay, NOT AT ALL the same, but whatever. It was good.

from Clean Eating magazine, with lots of mods from DNM

1 can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1 large red pepper, chopped
side of salmon
1/4 c dried dill (seems excessive but was yummy)
cooking spray
2 large heirloom tomatoes, diced
[1 green pepper, chopped]
[100 g feta, cubed]

1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c balsamic vinegar
2 shallots, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 oz capers, drained, rinsed well and chopped

1. Prepare marinade: in a measuring cup, whisk together oil, vinegar, shallots, garlic and capers. Set aside.


2. In a bowl, toss beans, onion and pepper[s and feta] with half the marinade. Set aside. Pour remaining marinade over salmon and sprinkle with dill. Let marinate at least 30 minutes, or up to a day (refrigerate if longer than 30 mins).



3. Cook salmon. I cooked mine on the barbecue, on an oiled veggie tray (best of both worlds - you get the pure utter deliciousness of grilled salmon, without the pain in the ass of flipping it, or having it stick). I cooked it until it was done (about 10 mins? maybe?) but didn't flip it. This kept all the super fabulous marinade and dill where it belonged....on my salmon....rather than in a burnt offering stuck to my grill). Transfer salmon to a platter and serve with chimichurri sauce (recipe below).


4. Toss tomatoes with bean salad and serve with salmon. I didn't have tomatoes. So I had a bean/feta/onion salad. It was awesome.


salad close-up:

Chimichurri sauce (makes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for one meal unless you plan to eat it as soup. I froze the rest, but consider halving the recipe)
4-6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 bunches parsley, including stems, washed
2 T dried oregano
6-7 fresh basil leaves
1 small jalapeno pepper, chopped
6 T olive oil
6 T apple cider vinegar
juice of one lime
sea salt
[I added a good healthy shake of cumin and some smoked paprika to get a heartier, richer flavour]

1. Puree the whole mess in a food processor or blender. VOila. That's all there is to it.


This is a very intense, flavourful sauce. It was superlative with the salmon. in fact, probably the best combination of salmon-friendly flavours that I"ve ever eaten. The whole time we were eating this, I was actually moaning and groaning with pleasure. Hubs would have normally humoured me, except we were outside and have no fence....hehe. Apparently, I can be embarrassing in my culinary enthusiasm at times??? who knew...

Anyway, this salmon recipe was amazing. The very edges of my side of (skinless) salmon were just a bit crisp, but the whole of it was moist and juicy and decadent and flavourful. Considering this came from a healthy eating magazine....colour me impressed. DELICIOUS. Make it.

Thanks for reading. ;) And if the blog is too infrequently updated for your taste, follow me on twitter! I tweet all the time and it may satisfy your cravings for indulgent food-related snark.


adorninc said...

My sister, Rebecca, told me about your blog and I just adore it! I'm vegetarian (well...peskatarian to be exact) and now I've got a trillion recipes I want to try!

Politicrack Junkie said...

Yay! I was getting quite disheartened from the radio silence in these here parts... and then I click over to find not one but three posts! So exciting!

Keep 'em coming :)

marysol said...

the chimichurri sauce seems heavenly! i will definitely try it, i have parsley and jalapenos in the garden!!


Jenny said...

Holy yumminess of epic proportions! I must try this salmon as I have been craving some for weeks! Now if only I could get off my lazy bum and back to the kitchen. My thinks this would be a good one for hubby to try ; )

Tammy H. said...

Looks absolutely delicious! Can't wait to give it a whirl. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails