Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, June 13, 2010

sometimes you just have to go simple

Pin It Now!

As always, I am lamenting the long-neglect of this blog....and the longer I don't post, the more I work myself up into thinking that my 'come back' post absolutely must be something of such epically delicious proportions that it will act as a personal catalyst for revolutionizing my approach to blogging.


So...moving right along....that's not going to happen. I don't want to post something so complicated, arduous or impressive that no one will ever come back....I want to share something simple, quick and delicious. Because really, that's what food is all about. Enjoying something that tastes fantastic, but doesn't require endless hours of labour in the kitchen.

I actually thought this dish might be a little humble for posting, but when discussing the subject with hubs, he actually INSISTED that it be shared. Because it's really good.

And the more I thought about it, the more perfect this meal was for posting. It's a great representation of the type of cooking I find myself doing these days....between having a crazy (crazed?) toddler, a commute that sucks way too much of my life (90 minutes each way...ugh), and just not having tons of extra energy, this is the perfect kind of thing to make at the end of the day. And even better, you don't have to feel like a jerk for serving it to your family because it's balanced and healthy.

So without further ado....

Curried couscous with broccoli and feta - stolen and adapted from Cooking Light
serves 5
DSC_6883

1 3/4 c water
1 c. whole wheat couscous
2 c. broccoli florets
1/2 c. finely chopped red onion
1/3 c. shredded carrot (I didn't have carrot so I used a combination of peppers and celery....and I used way more than 1/3 c.)
1/4 c. raisins (used a combination of sultana and thompson raisins)
1/4 c. dry-roasted cashews, chopped (I roasted my cashews in a clean frying pan)
2 T white wine vinegar
1.5 T olive oil
1 t sugar
2 t curry powder
2 t grated ginger
pinch salt
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
crumbled feta cheese

1. Boil water in kettle. Put couscous in a glass container. Pour boiling water over couscous, stir and cover. Voila. couscous done.
DSC_6869

2. While couscous stands, nuke the broccoli florets for about 90 seconds.
DSC_6870

3. Whisk vinegar, oil, sugar, curry powder, ginger and salt together in a small bowl.
DSC_6876

4. Combine couscous, broccoli, onion, veggies, chickpeas and dressing.
DSC_6871

5. Serve warm, hot or cold and sprinkle with crumbled feta.

DSC_6878

And voila. A complete, speedy, yummy vegetarian meal. If you insist on meat, you could add chopped chicken or crab.

As an addendum....remember waaaaaay back when when I stated that I didn't like frozen food? And that I wasn't really eating all of the food I had made in anticipation of Lil Z's arrival....almost two years ago?????

Hubs finally got fed up with me ignoring its existence in our deep freeze and ventured into that frozen tundra of dehydrated and now well-past-its-prime food.

Behold, the haul....
DSC_6884

A truly, truly shameful waste of food, I'm horrified to say. :( But at least now I have some room in my freezer! I've discovered my freezer is best filled with staples that can make something yummy, rather than something pre-made that just goes to waste....

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh wow, this sounds so good!!I will definitely be giving this one a shot, this week!

Quick question though, when you say you nuke the broccoli for 90sec, do you put it in a dish dry and then nuke it? Or do you add water and steam it somehow? I've never nuked broccoli :)

Kelsey said...

Just tried this today. Managed to convince my hubby that couscous is bland and creepy (his words). I loved it, and have lots of leftovers.

Unknown said...

I'm a bit the same way with pre-prepared frozen meals (I did the same thing when I had my son 2 years ago), and also leftovers. I despise leftovers. BUT it is handy to have something in the freezer that a) you made yourself and b) won't take a lot of effort to prepare if you're pressed for time/groceries. I found that making fewer (many fewer) freezer meals helped. I was more inclined to actually eat them rather than feeling overwhelmed by the enormous selection I'd been "saving" (for what exactly, I'm still not sure).

The other thing I've been doing with a fair bit of success is preparing partial meals for freezing...marinated meats that just need to be defrosted and popped in the over or on the BBQ to which you can add a simple salad or steamed veg.

Just thought I'd share some of those thoughts on freezer meals...

Related Posts with Thumbnails